Advice for private tenants
Whether you've lived in the private rented sector for a long time or are considering moving into a rented home, you have certain rights which are protected by law.
It's important to know, not just your rights as a tenant, but also your responsibilities. If you're a landlord, renting out your property to tenants, make sure you know your rights and responsibilities too.
- Also in Advice for private tenants
- Rent, rates and housing benefit
- Paying rent for a private tenancy
- Problems paying rent
- Housing benefit & LHA for private tenants
- Overview of local housing allowance
- Who can claim housing benefit
- How much housing benefit will you get if you rent privately?
- Applying for housing benefit
- Payments of housing benefit
- Help if your housing benefit doesn't cover your full rent
- Housing benefit for single people
- Housing benefit after a sudden change in income or a death in the family
- Video guide to Housing Benefit for private tenants
- Rates in private tenancies
- Avoiding rates arrears
- Witholding rent payments
- Rent increases
- Rent control in private tenancies