When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Ending a social tenancy

Your landlord can only end your tenancy by following the correct process. Secure Housing Executive and housing association tenants can only be evicted if a court believes that they have broken the tenancy agreements.  It's easier for a landlord to evict an introductory tenant, but the landlord still has to get a court order.  Think carefully and get advice before you take any action to end your tenancy.  It can be difficult to get a new social tenancy if you've given one up. 

Housing Executive and housing association tenants should only be evicted as a last resort. Your landlord should work with you to try and resolve any problems and should only decide to go to court to evict you if all other attempts to sort out the problem have failed.

A social landlord can end your tenancy if they think you are not living in the property. This is called "abandonment". 

The landlord does not have to go to court but they do have to follow the proper process. The process is only for social landlords. Private landlords must go to court to end your tenancy unless you have confirmed that you have moved out.

If you decide you no longer want to live in your home you need to formally end your tenancy. If you just leave without giving notice in writing your landlord could sue you for unpaid rent.