When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Selling former Housing Executive or housing association property

You can sell your home on if you bought it from the Housing Executive or a housing association.  However, if you got a discount on the purchase price you might have to pay this back.

Selling back to the Housing Executive or housing association

You need to offer the Housing Executive and housing associations first refusal if you decide to sell your home within 10 years of buying it using your right to buy.  Check the contract of sale or get advice from your solicitor if you bought the property less than 10 years ago and now need to sell.  The Housing Executive or housing association doesn't have to buy the property back from you. 

Repaying the discount

You’ll normally have to repay the discount if you sell the property less than 5 years after you bought it.

You won’t have to repay if you bought the property more than 5 years ago.  You might not have to repay the discount, even if you sold within 5 years, if:

  • you’re selling the property to a family member
  • you’re selling part of the property that you don’t live in (like the garage)
  • a court has ordered you to sell the property to your former partner after divorce or separation
  • you’ve inherited the property when the person who bought the home died and it is more than 3 years since the purchase
  • the property is being sold because the owner has died (and no-one has inherited the property).

Selling a part-owned property

If you only bought part of the property and now wish to sell, you must offer the property back to the Housing Executive or the housing association you bought it from.  If your former landlord doesn't want to buy the property back you can sell the property on the open market but you must give your former landlord a portion of the selling cost.  How much you must give depends on what percentage of the property the landlord still owns.