When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Gas safety requirements

Advice for landlords in Northern Ireland

This page is for landlords operating in Northern Ireland.  You can find advice for tenants elsewhere on our website. Private landlords in Northern Ireland can call Landlord Advice on 028 9024 5640 and choose option 1. 

If your property has gas heating or any gas appliances, you are legally required to have the boiler and any gas appliances inspected every year.

Gas safety inspections

The inspection must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. All registered engineers carry a Gas Safe Register ID card with their own unique licence number. Before you contract an engineer to check your properties, you must check that the engineer is registered. You can also check online at the Gas Safe Register website.

You must keep the gas safety record for at least two years and keep proof of all gas-related works carried out. The gas safety record for the property should be given to new tenants within 28 days of their tenancy starting.

If you have gas appliances or gas heating in your property, you should consider purchasing carbon monoxide monitors for the property to protect your tenants.

Keep a record of when your next gas safety check is due. Failure to have a valid Gas Safety Certificate is an offence.

Carbon monoxide detectors

If you install a new or replacement fuel burning appliance, whether it is gas, coal or oil fired you need to install a carbon monoxide detector in the room where the appliance is located. This requirement is contained in the Building Regulations (NI) 2012.  If the appliance is located in a room that isn't used (like a hot press) install the detector just outside so that it can be heard by your tenants if it sounds.

Carbon monoxide is a very dangerous gas.  It has no smell, taste or colour.  For peace of mind you should install a carbon monoxide detector in any room which has fuel burning appliances, such as open fires, stoves,  oil burning heaters, gas stoves or a gas boiler.  Make sure your tenants know where these are, how to use them and what to do in case of an emergency.  Find out more about Carbon Monoxide on the Health & Safety Executive's website.

Fire alarms

If you're building a new property to rent out or converting a new property you'll have to install fire alarms to comply with building regulations.  There are very specific fire safety standards for HMO properties, but there is no legal requirement for landlords of non-HMO properties to install a fire alarm.  However, landlords should install these in their properties to protect any tenants living there.  Failing to install a fire alarm could invalidate your insurance policy.