When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Registering as a landlord in Northern Ireland

This page is for landlords operating in Northern Ireland.  You can find advice for tenants elsewhere on our website. Private landlords in Northern Ireland can call Landlord Advice on 028 9024 5640 and choosing option 5. Lines open Monday to Friday, from 9.30am to 2.30pm.

If you are an existing landlord or are thinking about renting out a property, you need to ensure you register your details with the NI Landlord Registrar.  Landlords of HMO properties also need to register with the Housing Executive.

In addition to these statutory registers, you may also want to think about joining a professional body. There are a number of organisations that give support to landlords.

All landlords of private tenancies in Northern Ireland need to register. You can do this online, by telephone or in writing. You will have to pay a fee to register and you'll need to renew your registration every 3 years.

If you are letting out your property to 3 or more people who are not related or you have converted one dwelling into flats your property is probably a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO). When you first register a HMO you will be asked to pay a fee. Your registration period will last for five years and at the end of this five year period you will have to register again. Failure to register will lead to a hefty fine.

It's important that you keep up to date with changes in housing legislation, policy and practice to make sure that you are operating within the law. You may wish to consider taking part in an accredited training programme or joining a professional body. This type of training and support could help you deal with any problems that arise with your tenants and help you manage your properties effectively.