When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Housing benefit or local housing allowance

This page is for landlords operating in Northern Ireland.  You can find advice for tenants elsewhere on our website. Private landlords in Northern Ireland can call Landlord Advice on 028 9024 5640 and choosing option 5. 

There are two schemes for working out how much housing benefit an applicant can get. Most private tenants are assessed under the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rules.

Some private tenants will still be assessed under the housing benefit rules. These include:

  • protected tenants
  • tenants who have been continuously claiming housing benefit since before 7 April 2008 without a change in circumstances.

The amount of housing benefit that a tenant gets under the LHA rules depends on the tenant's age, household size and the area in which the property the tenant rents is located. LHA does not always provide enough housing benefit to cover the tenant's full monthly rent.

You can check what the LHA rates are for properties in your area. This will give you an idea of what an affordable rent in your area is and how much rent you will get if your tenant is in receipt of benefits.