When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Getting help when you don't know when you'll get out of prison

The Housing Executive is responsible for helping people who are homeless. The Housing Executive can look into your circumstance while you are still in prison. 

Getting help with homelessness while you are still in prison

Ask the resettlement officer to set up an appointment with Housing Rights.  

The housing adviser in your prison can talk to the Housing Executive for you.  They can get the Housing Executive to start looking at your case so that you’ll have a better idea of what happens when you get out.

Our housing advisers will try to make sure you have somewhere to go when you get out of prison. 

Getting help after you get out of prison

Call the Housing Executive on 03448 920 908 if you are homeless. 

They may have to offer you temporary housing if 

  • you do not have somewhere to live and 
  • you are sick, have a disability or seem to be vulnerable 

The Housing Executive will look into your case while you are in temporary housing. They will check if you pass all four tests for homelessness. 

The Housing Executive has to find you suitable housing if you pass these tests. 

Get advice if the Housing Executive says that it does not have to help you with housing.