There are many different organisations that work to support and help prisoners, ex-offenders and their families with their housing needs during and following the prison term.
As well as the prison staff there are independent advisers from organisations like Housing Rights and NIACRO working in all the prisons in Northern Ireland. If you are in custody and you need advice and assistance with your housing problem, the following staff may be able to help:
- peer housing advisers (HMP Maghaberry),
- Housing Rights housing advisers,
- Sentence Managers,
- NIACRO advisers,
- probation officers.
NIACRO, Northern Ireland Association for Care & Resettlement of Offenders, also offers a number of specialised projects in and out of prisons working with:
- Children & Young People who Offend (Youth Employability Programme, Child and Parent Support - Caps, Mentoring),
- Offenders and Ex-Prisoners (APAC: Assisting People and Communities, Base 2, Jobtrack),
- Prisoners, their Families and Children (Advice Services, Family Links).
Start360 provides a number of projects within the prison service. These projects offer drug and alcohol counselling, coaching, mentoring and support in the community once you've left the justice system.
Once out of prison, you will be able to rely on an even greater support network or organisations and community-based services, such as Extern and the Simon Community.
You will also be able to access support through the religious services in prison.
An extensive, searchable list of support organisations available throughout Northern Ireland is accessible in our Advice Services Directory or the Housing Executive's Floating Support Directory.