When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Housing benefit & LHA for private tenants

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent.  Most people who rent privately have their entitlement to housing benefit worked out under a system called Local Housing Allowance. The amount of housing benefit you receive under the Local Housing Allowance rules depends on your circumstances and not on the actual rent for the property in which you live.

If you started receiving housing benefit to pay for your rented home before April 2008 and have not had a break in your claim since then, your entitlement to housing benefit is worked out under a different set of rules.  You can find out more about this in the housing benefit sectionIf your claim for help with your private rented housing costs began after April 2008 your housing benefit is assessed under Local Housing Allowance rules.

Local housing allowance calculates housing benefit for people living in private rented accommodation. The scheme was introduced in April 2008 and it applies for certain groups of private tenants only.

Most people who normally live in Northern Ireland, have a low income and have to pay rent or rates can claim housing benefit. If you have savings or own property the amount you get may be reduced. People who have recently moved to the UK and full time students will not normally get housing benefit.

The amount of benefits you will get depends on your personal circumstances, such as your income and savings, the size of your household and the area you live/wish to live in.

If you think you may be entitled to help with your rent, you should make a claim for housing benefit as soon as possible. In some circumstances you may be able to backdate your claim.

If you are awarded LHA, you will usually have the right to choose whether you want the allowance to be paid to you or directly to your landlord.

Private tenants can apply for extra housing benefit if the amount they are getting doesn't cover their rent. This is known as a discretionary housing payment. The Housing Executive decides whether you are entitled to extra benefit and how much you should get.

The amount of housing benefit that is paid to single people aged under 35 who rent privately is often restricted. There are some exemptions that apply.

When a private tenant applies for housing benefit, the Housing Executive will normally calculate how much housing benefit that person will get based on the appropriate Local Housing Allowance rate. The Local Housing Allowance rate is almost always less than the amount of rent you actually have to pay. However, in certain circumstances, the Housing Executive can use a higher figure to work out how much housing benefit you are entitled to.