When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Moving in to your rented home

Moving house can be stressful. Being organised can help to avoid problems on the day or later in your tenancy. Create a checklist of things to do.

Check-in and inventory

Check if your landlord or agent is going to do a check in.

Ask for an inventory of the property. This is a document which sets out

  • the condition of everything in the property, and
  • the cleanliness of everything in the property.

Check that this document is accurate. Make changes if you think anything is wrong and send your updated version back to the landlord. Take photographs of any damage and include these in your email to the landlord or agent.

Documents and receipts

Ask for a copy of your tenancy agreement and a rent book.

Get a receipt for all payments you make. The receipt should say

  • how much the payment was
  • when the payment was made
  • how the payment was made
  • what services the payment covers
  • whether the payment is refundable or not.

Deposit information

Your landlord has to protect your deposit with an independent company. The landlord must give you a written record of where your deposit is kept. You should get this within 28 days of paying the deposit.


Make sure you know how to pay your utilities.

Prepaid or metered utilities

If you live in a house with metered gas or electricity, make sure you have access to the meter cards the day you move in.

Utility bills

Contact the utility suppliers as soon as you move in. You should provide

  • your name
  • the date you moved in
  • meter readings.

This will make sure you are only charged for utilities from the day you move in. The utility provider should set up a new account for you.

Oil heating

Check the oil levels and make a note of these. Your tenancy agreement might say that you have to leave the same level of oil in the tank when you move out.

Make sure you have enough oil in your tank to run the heating efficiently. You will be responsible for any damage to the heating caused by a lack of oil.

Entertainment services

Tenants are usually responsible for arranging their own television and internet services. You will have to apply for a TV licence or transfer your existing licence to your new address.


Contents insurance is really important. Your landlord's insurance won't cover any damage to your items. Most tenants get insurance against theft, fire and accidental damage.

Update your address

Once you’ve unpacked, you can start to get organised at your new address.  You’ll need to provide your new address to:

  • your bank
  • your employer
  • your doctor and dentist
  • the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency
  • any agencies that process any benefits you may receive and
  • shopping or payment accounts, e.g. ASOS, Paypal, Klarna, storecards

You should also register on the electoral roll at your new address.