When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland


The Money Advice Service's Quick Cash Finder can help you find small things you can cut back on to increase your savings. 

Shared ownership means you buy a part of a property and someone else buys the rest. You then pay rent on the part of the property you don't own. 

Northern Ireland has two shared ownership schemes

  • Co-ownership Housing, and
  • FairShare

There are rules about who can and who cannot claim Universal Credit. 

Many travellers live in traditional housing and will apply for housing in the same way as anyone else. But, there are also particular options for travellers who would prefer to live in extended family groups, on serviced sites or who still travel and need access to transit sites. 

The Housing Executive uses hostels as temporary housing. There are different types of homeless hostels. 

If you have a physical illness or disability you may need some alterations carried out to your home to help you get around. If you’re a private tenant, you’ll need to get your landlord’s permission to alter the property in any way. Alterations could range from the relatively small, like a ramp or a handrail, through to larger adaptations such as putting in a downstairs toilet.

You have to be "eligible" to apply for housing. You may not be able to get help with homelessness if

  • your immigration status means you cannot apply, or
  • you have been involved in certain types of antisocial behaviour. 

Some people enjoy getting involved in their neighbourhood. You might want to join a residents association or community group or even set one up if you think it would improve the area.

Not everyone who pays rent for a room or a property is a tenant. Some only have a license to remain in that property and are “licensees”. Licensees don't have as many rights as tenants and it's much easier to evict them.

The Loan Calculator from the Money and Pension Service can help you work out how long it will take you to pay off your loan, based on your current monthly payments. If you're having money problems, it's best to get some free, independent advice from a charity before you take on any further debt.


Subscribe to RSS - All Subscribe to All