When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Court action

Court action
Court action

You may have to go to court if your landlord is trying to evict you, if your lender is trying to repossess your home, if you need to take action against someone in the Small Claims Court or to challenge a decision that a public body has made at County Court or by taking a Judicial Review. It's important to get advice if you don't have legal representation.  Local advice agencies should be able to give you information about your rights and what you can expect at court. 

The courts may be able to help sort out some housing problems. Most court cases that deal with housing are civil matters, but criminal courts can also hear housing related cases as long as a criminal law is alleged to have been broken. 

Court action can be expensive and you may have to pay fees. If you win your case the judge may order the other side to pay some or all of your costs. If you lose your case, you could end up having to pay for the other person's legal costs as well as your own fees and any damages the judge awards. You might be able to get financial help with the costs of legal action through Legal Aid.

You may need to go to court to resolve a housing problem you're having. The type of court you use will depend on your case. You will need a solicitor to help you with most court cases, but you don't need one for Small Claims Court.

Subscribe to RSS - Court action Subscribe to Court action