When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Housing association repairs

Your housing association must make sure that your home is safe to live in.Your tenancy agreement should explain whether you or your housing association is responsible for repairs.  Ask your landlord for a copy of your agreement if you don’t already have one. 

You’ll be responsible for dealing with many of the repairing issues in your home. Tenants are responsible for decorating the inside of the property, including carpeting and flooring and you’ll also be responsible for looking after your garden. Your landlord will usually deal with any structural problems or faults with the heating, plumbing and electrical systems.

Most housing associations have a Right to Repair scheme for their tenants. The point of these schemes is to make sure that tenants can get low cost, urgent repairs done quickly.

You may get compensation if your landlord damages your home or you've improved it.

It’s important that your home is warm. If your home isn’t warm enough you could end up getting sick and you might start to see damp and mould appearing in your home.