When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Repairs and safety for private tenants

You should report any damage or disrepair to your landlord immediately. It's always a good idea to follow up any reports you make over the phone or in person with a letter so both you and your landlord have a record of any work that needs to be done.

If you don't report problems to your landlord, you may end up causing damage in the property through neglect and you could have to pay for this neglect at the end of your tenancy.

At some point in your tenancy, something in the property will probably need to be repaired. Your tenancy agreement should explain what type of repairs your landlord is responsible for and what repairs you are expected to carry out yourself.

There is a fitness standard that all privately rented accommodation must meet. If the state of your home is making you ill or causing a public health issue, there are agencies you can contact who can make your landlord carry out repairs. The fitness standard is quite low so often only homes in serious disrepair will fail to meet this.

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that any gas appliances or gas heating systems in the property are safe and regularly inspected.

Depending on the type of property you're living in, your landlord may be expected to provide fire safety measures and an adequate means of escape from fire.

The furnishings and electrical appliances your landlord supplies must meet minimum safety standards.

You should give your landlord a reasonable amount of time to carry out repairs. If you are having difficulty contacting your landlord or your landlord has refused to carry out essential repairs you may be able to get help from your local council.