When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Eligibility test and immigration status

Certain people cannot get help with housing because their immigration status does not allow this. Get advice if you've been told that you can't get help with housing because of your immigration status. 

You can only get help with housing if your immigration status allows this. You might be able to get help if

  • you have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme

  • you have been given refugee status

  • you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

An asylum seeker is someone who asks to stay in a country because it is not safe or possible for them to stay in their own country. If the government agrees that you can't safely live in your own country you'll get refugee status. 

The rules on housing are slightly different where there is a restricted person in someone's household. A restricted person is someone who is not eligible for assistance, is subject to immigration control or has no leave to enter or remain in the UK or cannot rely on public funds to remain in the UK.