When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

People from outside the EEA who are not refugees or asylum seekers

If you are not a citizen of an EEA country, you will only be eligible for help as a homeless person or for social security benefits if your immigration status allows this.

Check your documentation

You should check the terms of your visa or immigration documents to see if you are under any restrictions. Some people are allowed to live in the country, but their passports or documents will state that they have “no recourse to public funds”. This means that you can’t get any help with homelessness and that you can’t apply for welfare benefits.

Indefinite leave to remain

If you have indefinite leave to remain in Northern Ireland, you may be able be eligible for assistance, as long as this leave to remain isn’t conditional on someone else supporting you or on your not accessing such benefits. 

Not sure of your status

If you aren’t sure about your immigration status, you should get advice. Only certain agencies are allowed to give immigration advice. Contact STEP if you need help figuring out your status.