When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Restricted persons and eligibility

A restricted person is someone who

  • is not eligible for assistance,
  • is subject to immigration control,
  • has no leave to enter or remain in the UK, or cannot rely on public funds to remain here.

A restricted person cannot apply for help as a homeless person by him or herself. But, you can still apply for help if there is a restricted person living in your home. This might happen if, for example, a Spanish citizen is married to a person from New Zealand. The Spanish person may be eligible for assistance because he is an EEA national who is working in the UK. The fact that this person is married to someone who is prevented from getting homeless assistance because of nationality, doesn't stop the Spanish person from getting assistance. 

What happens if priority need comes from a restricted person?

In the example above, the couple from Spain and New Zealand are eligible for assistance, but would also need to pass the other homelessness tests, including priority need. If the Spanish national has priority need, because he has a serious disability or has a dependent child, the couple will be entitled to temporary housing and to three reasonable offers of a social tenancy. 

However, if the prioriy need comes from the person from New Zealand, their case will be refered to as "restricted". This means that the couple will have passed the homelessness tests, but will only be entitled to one offer of housing, and this offer could be a 12 month privately rented tenancy. The Housing Executive does not have to offer this family a social tenancy.