When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Accommodation for travellers

Many travellers live in traditional housing and will apply for housing in the same way as anyone else. But, there are also particular options for travellers who would prefer to live in extended family groups, on serviced sites or who still travel and need access to transit sites. If you have asked for accommodation that fits with your cultural traditions and you have been waiting a long time for a suitable offer, speak to an adviser.

Group housing

Group housing schemes allow travellers to live together in extended family groups. These are usually provided by housing associations. Talk to the Housing Executive if there is a particular group housing scheme that you would like to live in. 


There are a number of serviced sites across Northern Ireland. There are also transit sites for people who follow a traditional, travelling life. Visit the Housing Executive's website for details of these sites. 

There are no emergency halting sites in Northern Ireland. The Housing Executive is planning a new strategy to address the housing needs of people in the travelling community. It will be asking people for their opinions about traveller accommodation in Northern Ireland and will consider the need to provide emergency sites as part of this exercise. 

Applying for social housing

You should contact the Housing Executive if you want to apply for social housing

Finding a home to rent privately

Look online or speak to local agents if you want to rent privately