When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Making a complaint

Making a complaint
Making a complaint

Making a formal complaint can often help sort out a problem if you've been treated unfairly or the wrong decision has been made.  If you can't make a complaint, but you feel you've been treated unfairly you may be able to get justice by going to court. 

The Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman is there to make sure the service provided by public bodies in Northern Ireland is fair and efficient. You can complain to the Ombudsman if you believe the Housing Executive or your housing association has handled your case poorly or treated you unfairly.

Estate agents and letting agents will often have their own complaints process. Many agents belong to a professional redress scheme which may be able to sort out problems if you're unhappy with the service you've been given by your agent.

Your housing association's complaints procedure will explain how you can complain and what you can complain about. The Ombudsman may be able to help you if you are not happy with how your housing association dealt with your complaint. 

If you can't sort out a problem by speaking to staff at your local office, you can use your landlord's formal complaints procedure. There are two stages to the complaints procedure. You can take your case to the NI Public Services Ombudsman if you aren't happy with how the Housing Executive or your housing association handled your complaint. 


Subscribe to RSS - Making a complaint Subscribe to Making a complaint