When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Complaining about your housing association

Your housing association has a complaints procedure. This explains

  • how you make a complaint
  • how your landlord deals with your complaint
  • what you can do if you're not happy with their response to your complaint

The complaints procedure should be on your landlord's website.  Ask your housing officer for a copy if you can't find it.  

Using the complaints process to complain

Use the complaints process to complain about your landlord's actions.  You can make a complaint if you are unhappy about

  • how your housing association treated you
  • a decision your housing association has made about your case
  • the quality of service your housing association provided
  • how long it's taking the association to do something

Using a different process to complain

Use a different process if you want to

Making your complaint

You can make a complaint in writing or by talking to your housing association. 

Explain in clear terms  

  • that you are making a formal complaint
  • why you are complaining
  • what you think your housing association did wrong
  • what you've already done to try to sort out this problem

Keep a record of your complaint

Keep a copy of your written complaint. 

Ask the association to read your complaint back to you if you've complained in person or on the telephone. Make sure their notes match what you want to complain about. 

Responding to your complaint

Your housing association should let you know

  • that they've received your complaint
  • who will investigate your complaint
  • when you will get a full response to your complaint

The complaints procedure should say how long it will take to get a response. This is usually between 3 and 5 weeks. 

Your housing association should tell you if they're going to miss this deadline. They should also explain why their response will be late.

Help if you're not happy with the response

There are usually 3 stages to the complaints process. 

  1. You complain to the person responsible for the service - a manager
  2. You complain to the housing association's director or management board
  3. You complain to the Northern Ireland Public Services Ombudsman

Your housing association should try to sort out your complaint at the first stage. But, you can go to the next stage if you are not happy with the response. 

Contact our helpline if your problem wasn't sorted out after your first complaint.