When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Intimidation information for foreign nationals

This page only contains basic information and is the English version of our translated content.  For more detailed advice and information on housing in Northern Ireland in the English language, use the menu options on the homepage. 

Intimidation is a criminal offence. If you have been intimidated or attacked in your home, you may be able to get help from the Housing Executive.

What counts as intimidation?

The Housing Executive does not consider all threats to be intimidation. Intimidation is considered serious if it is:

  • racial,
  • sectarian,
  • terrorist,
  • because of your sexuality,
  • because of a disability.

The Housing Executive should consider you homeless if it decides you have been intimidated from your home. You may also be able to get an emergency grant from the Housing Executive or the Housing Executive may be able to purchase your home if you have been a victim of intimidation.

You might not be eligible for help from the Housing Executive as a person from abroad. However, the Housing Executive has a legal duty to give housing advice and information on preventing homelessness to anyone who asks in Northern Ireland. Speak to an adviser as soon as possible, if you are being intimidated.

Where else can I turn for help?

Your safety should be your top priority. Don't stay in your home if you don't feel safe. If you decide to stay in your home after you have been intimidated, get advice from the police.

If you are renting privately and you have been attacked by people who live with you, tell your landlord. Your landlord may be able to evict the violent person by following the proper legal procedure.

Oganisations such as Multi-cultural Resource Centre or South Tyrone Empowerment Project (STEP) can offer you further advice and assistance. Find other advice agencies in your area which can help.