You may get a discount on your rates if
- your property was adapted for someone in your household who has a disability, or
- you are 70 or older and live alone.
You need to apply for the discount.
Disabled Persons Allowance
You can get a 25% discount on your annual rates bill if
- your home was adapted for someone with a disability, and
- that person still lives in the property.
Only certain adaptations will qualify for the discount. These are adding:
- floor space to accommodate a wheelchair
- a toilet for the person with a disability
- an extra kitchen for the person with a disability
- a treatment or therapy room for the person with a disability, (excluding a kitchen, bathroom or toilet)
There has to be a clear link between the adaptation and the disability.
Applying for disabled persons rates allowance
Fill in an application form and send it to Land & Property Services (LPS). The person who is responsible for paying rates should fill in the form.
Lone Pensioner allowance
You can get a 20% discount on your annual rates bill if
- you are over 70 years old, and
- you live on your own.
You may still be able to get the discount if you do not live alone, but live with someone who
- cares for you for at least 35 hours a week
- you care for for at least 35 hours a week
- is a resident of a hospital or care home
- is severely mentally impaired
- is under 18
- is over 18 but someone still receives child benefit for them
You should get this discount if you meet these conditions. It does not matter how much you have in earnings or in savings.
Applying for lone pensioner rates allowance
There are 2 different ways to apply for this discount
- send an application form to NIHE if you rent your home
- send an application form to LPS if you own your home
You can get both forms at NI Direct