When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Registering as a landlord in Northern Ireland

If you are an existing landlord or are thinking about renting out a property, you need to ensure you register your details with the NI Landlord Registrar.  Landlords of HMO properties also need to register with the Housing Executive.

In addition to these statutory registers, you may also want to think about joining a professional body. There are a number of organisations that give support to landlords.

All landlords of private tenancies in Northern Ireland need to register. You can do this online, by telephone or in writing. You will have to pay a fee to register and you'll need to renew your registration every 3 years.

It's important that you keep up to date with changes in housing legislation, policy and practice to make sure that you are operating within the law. You may wish to consider taking part in an accredited training programme or joining a professional body. This type of training and support could help you deal with any problems that arise with your tenants and help you manage your properties effectively.

From 1 April 2019 all HMOs in Northern Ireland must be licenced. Any HMO that is currently registered will have this registration automatically converted to a licence. You should take note of when your existing registration is due for renewal so you can apply for a licence in advance of this date.