When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Help to pay your mortgage or secured loan

If you receive certain income-related benefits, you may be entitled to some help with the interest payments on loans secured on your home. Normally, you will have to serve a 39 week waiting period before you will start to receive this financial help and not all loans will qualify for this financial assistance. This financial assistance is called Support for Mortgage Interest. From 6 April 2018 any payments made to help homeowners with the interest charges on loans or mortgages will be in the form of an interest-bearing loan and may have to be repaid. 

If you’re on qualifying benefits you may be entitled to Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI). This is paid in addition to certain social security benefits and can help you meet some or all of the interest payments on your mortgage.