When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Responsibility for housing association repairs

Your tenancy agreement explains what problems your landlord should fix. 

It will also explain which repairs you have to deal with yourself. 

Repairs your landlord should do

The Housing Executive and housing associations are responsible for

  • the walls, roof, chimney, gutters, drains of the property
  • doors
  • hinges, locks and handles on external doors
  • windows and window frames, but this doesn't include replacing broken glass
  • paths, fences, walls or gates that it has provided
  • decorating the outside of your home every seven years
  • structural woodwork in the property, including dealing with rot
  • tiles, if the landlord installed them
  • skirting boards and windowsills
  • ceiling roses
  • electrical wiring
  • electrical appliances the landlord installed
  • electrical sockets and switches
  • any solid fuel cooker or stove the landlord installed
  • room heaters provided by the landlord
  • fire surrounds
  • pipes, radiators and boilers
  • blocked sewers
  • blocked drains if this was not caused by blocked grating

Your landlord should do the repairs within a set amount of time.

The length of time they have depends on whether the repair is routine, urgent or an emergency.

Repairs you have to do

You are responsible for:

  • looking after your garden
  • decorating the inside of your home
  • leaning out your drains, gully traps and gratings
  • sweeping your chimney
  • internal plaster cracks
  • any appliances you've installed
  • doorbells, plugs and fuses
  • the front piece and basket of open fires
  • hinges, locks and handles on internal doors
  • furniture
  • broken glass
  • draughtproofing
  • replacing washers, plugs and stoppers
  • clearing airlocks
  • replacing or repairing anything that you have damaged, including cracked baths or sinks.

Contact our helpline if you have questions about repairs.