When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland


The Housing Executive uses improvement schemes to update older houses and make sure your home is safe.

Vesting, or compulsory development, happens when the government buys up all the properties in an area that is rundown. When an area is selected for vesting the Housing Executive will

  • buy all the properties in the area from their owners and
  • redevelop the area for use as social housing

Owners will get the market price for the property. They can't refuse to sell their homes to the Housing Executive. 

An area scheduled for redevelopment can contain properties owned privately or properties owned by housing associations or the Housing Executive. At least one third of the properties in a redevelopment area must be considered to be unfit for human habitation.

You may be entitled to compensation if you have to leave your home because the area its based in is scheduled to be redeveloped. Homeowners will be paid the current market value for their home and you might also be entitled to compensation for the disturbance. The Housing Executive should rehouse you if you can no longer live in your home because it is in a redevelopment area.

A tenancy deposit is the tenant's money and should be returned at the end of the tenancy. The deadline for returning this depends on whether the deposit was protected or not. You can make deductions from this deposit where you have suffered a loss as a result of the tenants' action or inaction. However, a deposit cannot be used to reimburse you against normal wear and tear and any deductions made from the deposit must be justifiable in court.

You may get compensation if your landlord damages your home or you've improved it.

Subscribe to RSS - Compensation Subscribe to Compensation