When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland


The Housing Executive has a number of legal responsibilities surrounding homelessness. It provides advice and assistance to people who are homeless and, in some cases, is legally required to provide temporary and permanent accommodation to people.

If you’re aged between 18 and 21 you should ask the Housing Executive for help if you are homeless.  They will investigate to see if you pass all four tests for homelessness. Make sure that you tell the the Housing Executive if you have spent any time in care as a young person  The Housing Executive will work with Social Services to try to help you.

If you are not a citizen of an EEA country, you will only be eligible for help as a homeless person or for social security benefits if your immigration status allows this.

The Housing Executive has a duty to provide advice on homelessness and its prevention to anyone in Northern Ireland who asks for it. The Housing Executive must help you if it thinks you are homeless, or about to become homeless in the next 28 days.

The Housing Executive is responsible for helping people in Northern Ireland who are homeless. It is also a social landlord and manages and awards lots of social housing.

Hostels, nightshelters and foyers are types of temporary accommodation for homeless people. You need a referral from the Housing Executive or Social Services to get a place in some hostels , but there are others that can give you a room or a bed for the night you without a referral. 

You need to sort out some sort of accommodation if you don't have a home to go or family that you can stay with after you've been released from prison.

There are a number of things to think about when you’re moving out of home or leaving care for the first time. If you can, try to plan and prepare before moving out. 

Most homeless people have a right to claim benefits and to vote. If you’re homeless or about to become homeless you may also be able to return to your home. You may have a right to be rehoused by the Housing Executive.

You can ask your local Health & Social Care Trust or the Housing Executive to help you if you are 16 or 17 and have nowhere safe to live.


Subscribe to RSS - Homeless Subscribe to Homeless