When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Local Housing Allowance

You can get help to pay your rent if you are a private renter and have a low income. 

If you are claiming help for the first time you should claim

  • housing benefit if you are over pension age, or
  • Universal Credit if you are under pension age.

You should apply for help to pay your rent if you are on a low income or are struggling. For most people, this means claiming Universal Credit. Claim Housing Benefit instead if

  • you are a pensioner or
  • you live in supported or temporary housing. 

Your Universal Credit is normally paid directly to your landlord, but you can ask for it to be paid to you instead. If you get Housing Benefit, you can choose whether you want the money paid to you, to the landlord or to the estate agent. 

Private tenants can apply for extra housing benefit if the amount they are getting doesn't cover their rent. This is known as a discretionary housing payment. The Housing Executive decides whether you are entitled to extra benefit and how much you should get.

The government restricts the amount of benefits it will give to private renters who are under 35. Your housing benefits will only cover the cost of renting a room in a shared property, unless

  • you have a partner living with you, or
  • your household includes children, or
  • you meet one of the exceptions to this rule.  

Dacă aveți un venit mic, s-ar putea să obțineți ajutor social pentru plata chiriei pentru a vă ajuta să acoperiți costurile cu locuința. Începând cu aprilie 2008, drepturile chiriașilor din domeniul privat la ajutor social cu plata chiriei (Housing Benefit) este calculat pe baza Alocației de Locuințe Locale - Local Housing Allowance. 

Ако сте на ниски доходи, може да успеете да получите жилищни помощи, които да помогнат към разходите за жилище. От април 2008 г. правото на частни наематели на жилища да ползват помощ се изчислява на база местни жилищни надбавки.


Subscribe to RSS - Local Housing Allowance Subscribe to Local Housing Allowance