When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland


You should take steps to protect your home and your family from burglary and break-ins.

Your house needs to be up to certain standards before it can be rented out. You may need to ask the council to inspect your property and will have to abide by certain safety requirements.

If your property has a gas heating system or any gas appliances you must ensure that these are checked annually by an engineer who is listed on the Gas Safe Register. Annual checks are recorded on a log called a Gas Safety Record. You must keep these records up to date and keep them for at least 2 years.

Many landlords prefer to install meters in rented properties, meaning that utilities such as electricity and gas must be pre paid. If your property is a HMO, you may not legally be allowed to install a prepay electricity meter. It's worth considering cabling your property for utilities such as broadband to make your property more attractive.

Some people enjoy getting involved in their neighbourhood. You might want to join a residents association or community group or even set one up if you think it would improve the area.

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that any gas appliances or gas heating systems in the property are safe and regularly inspected.

The furnishings and electrical appliances your landlord supplies must meet minimum safety standards.

Вашия наемодател трябва да гарантира, че вашата квартира е подходяща, когато се премествате. Наемодателят ви трябва да има валидна разписка за проверки за безопасност за всички газови уреди в имота. Само инженер на газ от регистъра по безопасност може да издаде такава разписка. Всички мебели които са ви предоставени трябва да бъдат огнеустойчиви.

Subscribe to RSS - Safety Subscribe to Safety