When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Help with housing costs through Universal Credit

Universal Credit can help with rent, some service charges and interest charges on a mortgage. It doesn't include help with rates. You need to apply for a rates rebate to cover your rates payments. 

If you aren’t already claiming Universal Credit, you will need to set up an account and start your claim. When you go through the online form, you will be asked about your housing costs.

The amount of help you’ll get towards your housing costs depends on a number of things. The housing costs element of UC is worked out differently for people who rent privately, people who rent from a social landlord and for homeowners.


You can’t get help with rates as part of your Universal Credit claim. Instead, you will be able to apply for a rates rebate. Land & Property Services will be in charge of managing the rates rebate system.

The housing costs element of Universal Credit can only help with costs on the home you are actually living in. You can sometimes get help to pay rent for a home you're not living in , but this depends on why you aren't living there. 


You need to update your Universal Credit account if you move home.

You may be able to get some extra financial help if you are getting the housing costs element of Universal Credit but you are still struggling with your housing costs.