When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

What is a Personal Independence Payment or PIP?

If you have a disability, you may be entitled to some financial help with the costs of managing that disability. Personal Independence Payments, or PIP, is a new benefit which replaces Disability Living Allowance. 

It is not means-tested. This means that you can receive this benefit even if you have other income. Any PIP that you receive will not be counted as income when you are assessed for other benefits, like Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Who can apply?

You can apply for PIP if you

  • are over 18 and you were under 65 on 20 June 2016 and
  • are currently living in Northern Ireland and have been living in NI for at least 2 out of the last 3 years and
  • you have had a disability for the last three months and you are likely to continue to have this disability for at least the next nine months or
  • you have a terminal illness.

People who are not British or Irish citizens will have to pass a habitual residence test.

What happens to people who currently receive DLA?

In the coming months everyone who receives DLA will be asked to reapply for a Personal Independence Payment or PIP.

The person reassessing you will ask if they can review your old DLA claim to help with the PIP assessment. If you agree to this, the information on your form can be used to learn more about your condition. It might be useful for you to ask for a copy of this form to be sent to you before your assessment, particularly if it’s been a while since you completed it and your condition has gotten worse.

Is PIP the same as DLA?

PIP is slightly different to DLA. The fact that you’ve been getting DLA doesn’t mean that you will definitely get PIP.

If you’re worried about your interview, speak to an advice agency before you go who can explain the process and the types of questions you might be asked.

How much PIP can you get?

PIP has two components and each component has two rates of pay. You need to score 8 points in a component to get its standard rate and 12 points to get its enhanced rate. The components are Daily Living and Mobility.

You will be paid:

  • £57.30 each week if you are on the PIP Daily Living standard rate
  • £85.60 each week if you are on the PIP Daily Living enhanced rate
  • £22.65 each week if you are on the PIP Mobility standard rate
  • £59.75 each week if you are on the PIP Mobility standard rate

Getting advice on PIP

Call 0808 802 0020 if you have any questions about the move from DLA to PIP.

The Citizens Advice website has some really useful information about making a claim for PIP.

Although you may receive a payment to compensate you for losing your DLA, the amount that you receive in Housing Benefit could be affected and you won’t get any extra money for this. If you’re struggling with your rent because of welfare reform changes, call Housing Rights for advice.