When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Social landlord's responsibilities to tenants

When you rent from the Housing Executive or a housing association, your landlord has certain responsibilities. 

It has to

  • carry out certain repairs
  • give you permission to sublet, transfer or exchange your property if it’s reasonable to do so
  • allow you to have a lodger
  • work with you if you have problems paying your rent.

You can complain if your landlord isn't doing these things or if your landlord has treated you poorly.