When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Pay your mortgage and rates

Advice for landlords in Northern Ireland

This page is for landlords operating in Northern Ireland.  You can find advice for tenants elsewhere on our website. Private landlords in Northern Ireland can call Landlord Advice on 028 9024 5640 and choose option 1. 

You need permission to rent out your property if there is a mortgage or loan secured on it. You need

  • a buy-to-let mortgage, or
  • written permission to rent out the property from the lender.

You must pay your mortgage and any loans secured on your rental property. 

Your tenants could end up homeless if you don't pay these bills. 

Having problems paying mortgage

Talk to your lender if you are having problems paying your mortgage or loans. They may be able to

  • suspend your payments for a short period
  • change your loan to reduce the payments
  • offer other short-term help to manage your finances.

Let your tenants know if 

  • your lender starts legal action against you
  • you have a court hearing about their home
  • the lender appoints a receiver to manage the property
  • you decide to return the keys to the lender.

Contact Landlord Advice NI if you need advice. 

Paying rates on your home

Make sure your tenants know who is legally responsible for paying rates.  Land & Property Services (LPS) will chase unpaid rates bills. 

You are responsible for paying rates on the property if

  • the property's capital value is £150,000 or less, or
  • the property is a House in Multiple Occuation (HMO).

The tenant is responsible for paying rates on the property if

  • the property's capital value is £150,001 or more.

Make sure your tenancy agreement is clear about who pays rates and how they pay these. 

Your tenants can sue you if

  • they paid rates to you as part of or on top of their rent, and
  • you did not pay the rates bill, and
  • LPS is chasing them for the debt.