When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Hate incidents

You may get help securing your home if you’ve been attacked in a hate crime. A hate crime or hate incident is when you or your property has been attacked or threatened because of your

  • race, ethnicity or nationality
  • gender or gender identity
  • sexual orientation or
  • disability.

What to do if you're worried about hate crime

If you have been the victim of a hate incident you should contact the police immediately.  You can report a hate crime to the police via their website, but in the case of an emergency or if you are worried about your immediate safety you should call 999.  Non emergency calls can be made to 0845 600 8000.

The Housing Executive may be able to provide some assistance to help you feel more secure in your home through its Hate Incidents Practical Action Scheme. If you believe it isn't safe for you to remain in your home, you may want to present to the Housing Executive as homeless.  If there’s a risk that you could be killed or seriously injured if you stay in your home you may be entitled to intimidation points.

What help is available?

If your home has been damaged in a hate crime, the Housing Executive may be able to help you make your home secure again through the Hate Incidents Practical Action Scheme.  To get help from the scheme you must report the incident to the police.  When an incident is confirmed by the police, minimum repairs will be carried out to secure the property, security film will be fitted to any broken windows, a peep hole and door chain will be fitted if appropriate and a personal alarm set provided to you.

This scheme can help Housing Executive tenants, housing association tenants, people who own their homes and tenants in privately rented homes.  Housing associations will be responsible for liaising with the police and carrying out repairs where a hate crime has targeted one if its properties.  The Housing Executive will do this for NIHE tenants, private tenants and homeowners.