When everyone has a home

Housing advice for Northern Ireland

Right to housing benefit

All private tenants have the right to use housing benefit to help pay the rent. If you intend using housing benefit to help with your rent, make sure you know how much you are likely to get.  Housing benefit will not always cover your full rent.  

If you are on a low income, you may be entitled to benefits to help you pay your rent. Most people who rent privately have their entitlement to benefit worked out under a system called Local Housing Allowance.